Dear client or potential client –
As a professional counselor licensed in the statesil of Texas and California, I am required to provide you with the opportunity for fully informed consent for any risks, benefits, and limitations of our work together. I am also bound by ethics and morality, and it is with these things in mind as well as genuine care for you that I want to inform you about how anti-abortion legislation and any other policy that restricts your body autonomy and self-determination may impact our work together.
You have probably heard that Roe v. Wade has been overturned by the Supreme Court, and in Texas abortion access is being rapidly restricted. I am proactively monitoring relevant legislation to bring you the best possible care and that is not limited to abortion bans – I am also monitoring related legislative attacks on bodily autonomy like bans on gender-affirming care.
Your safety and comfort in sharing with me is important and I will do everything in my power to maximize it, and I also understand that there may be things you choose to withhold because you do not feel safe. I want you to know that you are always welcome to ask me questions about what will happen to the information you choose to share with me in therapy, and I will answer.
Questions for me might include, but are not limited to:
- Can I share with you if I have already, or am considering seeking abortion care or have had a miscarriage?
- If I do decide to discuss pregnancy or pregnancy outcomes with you, how will these be documented?
- Are you able to provide referrals or informational resources regarding abortion access?
- Are you able to provide referrals or informational resources on pregnancy prevention?
- Are you comfortable talking about abortion?
- What is your stance on abortion access?
I am committed to you and your care, and if my answers to the questions above cause you concern, I will work with you to find a source of care that is a better fit.